Sunday, January 13, 2013

Lavender Scones




SO., a few weeks later and I'm pretty much the polar opposite of what I was in my last post. I am now single, and back in school. Both of these things I have fairly positive feelings about, except for back to school is cold. Really, really cold in the kind of way a born-and- bred California girl can never really anticipate. 
While I was home though, I spent most of my time with food. Lots of eating out, but also some cooking of my own. Lots of squash and kale and other LA type produce that you don't get a whole lot of in the Midwest that I now realize I desperately crave all the time. There were a few non-health nut indulgences though. Like scones. With lots of butter. and sugar. and buttermilk. mmm

Recipe modified from Joy the Baker site. Did I mention she's wonderful? She's wonderful. And charming and a brilliant cook. I did eliminate walnuts from the equation though and add way more lavender than was suggested. I love lavender, and coincidentally it grows like a weed in my backyard. 

Recipe after the jump





For the Biscuits: (makes 8)
1 tablespoon dried lavender
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
1 large egg
3/4 cup buttermilk, cold
For the Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon milk
Place racks in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Set aside.
Using a spice grinder, a mortar and pestle, or a clean cutting board and the back of a knife, grind or press the dried lavender.  We just want to break it up into slightly smaller pieces and bring out the essential oil and the fragrance
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add lavender.  Add cold butter and, using your fingers, work the butter into the flour mixture.  Work quickly to incorporate the butter into the flour.  The butter bits will be the size of small pebbles and oat flakes.
Whisk together egg and buttermilk.
Create a small well in the center of the flour and butter mixture.  Pour in the buttermilk, all at once, and use a fork to incorporate the ingredients.  Make sure that all of the flour bits are moistened by the egg and buttermilk.
Dump the shaggy dough onto a lightly floured work surface.  Bring together, kneading lightly, until the dough forms a 1-inch thick rectangle.  Use a knife to cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.  Place on the baking sheet.
Brush biscuit tops with buttermilk and baker for 12 to 15 minutes, until lightly browned on top and firm-ish in the center.  Let cool until almost entirely cool before topping with glaze.
To make the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, honey, and milk.  Whisk until smooth.  Drizzle scones with glaze and sprinkle with a bit more lavender.

No comments:

Post a Comment